Friday, October 19, 2012

[Fix] Ubuntu 12.10 Can't Log in to unity or Gnome3?

Hey everyone,

I just upgraded to Ubuntu 12.10 and I forgot the little thing about, not downloading the ubuntu distro updates the day they come out.... may programmers may have not made compatibility patches, and ubuntu it's self can be a little bit unstable...

Any way, what's done, is done.

So after the install was complete, I rebooted. And I was greeted with the ubuntu 11.04 grub menu (the all purple one {boring!}  )  and then a new, fancy log in screen.

So I typed my password, and about halfway through the a wifi Login box came up, asking for a Wep key for a access point I accidently clicked on months ago {neighbors wifi} anyway,
I closed the box, turned off WiFi and hit enter.

After this the screen flash back for a second, and returned me to the login screen, so I typed it again, making sure Capslock was off. Same outcome, black screen then back to login,

I tried to use Unity, and it would just hang, I'd type my password, and it would just sit their with the spinning circle thing.

So, I rebooted and tried again. Same outcome on unity/gnome3

Luckily I had LXDE installed.
(you can do this with {Ctrl}{Alt}{F6} but you'll need to be connected to the internet,
wired works better, because for some reason, it could not load my wifi setup)

--The Fix--
I was able to fix this by first turning back on the sources that the update turned off,
from 'software sources'

then I ran:
sudo apt-get update --install-missing
followed by:
sudo apt-get upgrade
And I verified Gnome was still installed with:
sudo apt-get install gnome-sessionand it should say:
gnome-session is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

then Just Reboot, and you should be able to login.
It will take some time for the first boot,
Your favorites may not show up for around 2-3mins.

Also your extensions will need to be updated, so may of them will be disabled.

Enjoy!

And I hope this helps you out!

-BOBdotEXE

No comments:

Post a Comment