Saturday, October 6, 2012

Fixing VLC dependencies error (Can't Reinstall VLC)

The story: (feel free to skip)


     I use VLC a lot, And When 2.0 came out Ubuntu did not update to that version, the REPO had the older version even months later, So I added the daily repo:
http://ppa.launchpad.net/videolan/stable-daily/ubuntu

and that worked for a while, after a few months later I received a 'Distribution upgrade', and when I installed it, it removed VLC. when I tried to re-install it gave me a bunch of unmet dependency's, so I disabled the source, ran apt-get update, and tried to install the older VLC, that did not work either. I eventually found a web page, and it helped me get it working, and I was also able to get the 'Stable Daily' working too


But last night, I got another 'disto upgrade' and it uninstalled VLC again.

when I try to reinstall from daily I get:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 vlc : Depends: fonts-freefont-ttf but it is not installable
       Depends: vlc-nox (= 2.0.3+git20121005+r392-0~r42~precise1) but it is not going to be installed
       Depends: libvlccore5 (>= 2.0.0) but it is not going to be installed
       Recommends: vlc-plugin-notify (= 2.0.3+git20121005+r392-0~r42~precise1) but it is not going to be installed
       Recommends: vlc-plugin-pulse (= 2.0.3+git20121005+r392-0~r42~precise1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
 the same thing would happen when I disabled the 'Daily' source. after some time on askubuntu, I tried some suggestions, and neither helped, So I picked one of the dependencies and tried to install it manually:

sudo apt-get install vlc-nox
This gave me a dependency error for 'libvlc5' so I attempted to install that:
sudo apt-get install libvlc5
And that said it depended on 'libvlccore5' so...
sudo apt-get install libvlccore5
and that pointed to 'vlc-data' and another program I did not reconize. so I started with vlc-data:
sudo apt-get install vlc-data

and this time it said vlc-data was already installed! -The Fix-

so I ran:
sudo apt-get remove --purge vlc-data
and just to make sure, nothing went wrong. I disabled the 'Daily' source for VLC Then I ran:
sudo apt-get update
followed by:
sudo apt-get install vlc
and it installed without any issues, so then I turned the daily source back on
and ran:
sudo apt-get upgrade
and BOOM! I was able to get the latest version of VLC!

 --- Quick fix:

 This may fix the problem for you (did not work for me though):
sudo apt-get remove --purge vlc
followed by:
sudo apt-get install vlc
source: http://askubuntu.com/questions/197161/cant-reinstall-vlc-removed-by-updateagain/197321#197321

No comments:

Post a Comment